11 Inspirational Quotes on the Importance of Family
The 21st century hustle and bustle is real. These days we’re constantly zooming from obligation to obligation, checking notifications on our phones, and struggling to stay up to date with the news, our work, and our relationships. But no matter the season, it’s important to slow down and savor the moments you have with your family, even if they drive you a little bit crazy. Lean into it! Here are 11 inspirational quotes on the importance of family.
1. "A man [or woman, we’d add!] should never neglect his family for business." - Walt Disney
When our work is fulfilling and engaging (or even when it’s just plain challenging), it’s easy to get caught up in our professional life. But it’s important to never leave your family by the wayside by over-prioritizing your career. Work-life balance may seem elusive, but Walt Disney is right—it’s well worth finding.
2. "Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life." - Lisa Weed
All families look different these days. Whether it’s a family of your own choosing, the tightest-knit group of friends, or your kinda-crazy blood relatives, family is family. They love you unconditionally.
3. "I sustain myself with the love of family." - Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou’s writing speaks to this so well. Love of family can be such a sustaining force. During trying times, our family is there for us.
4. “Family is a life jacket in the stormy sea of life."- J.K. Rowling
Life is pretty stormy! Whether you’ve been swept away by work this year, health challenges, or are feeling downtrodden from reading all the negative news in your Twitter feed each day, it’s high time to take some refuge among family. The holidays are the perfect opportunity for slowing down, unplugging, and spending quality time with those you love.
5. "I don't think quantity time is as special as quality time with your family." - Reba McEntire
Reba McEntire has it right. In 2019, we’re all so prone to fixating on quantity. How much work are you getting done in the office? How productive were you with household chores over the weekend? Instagram makes us all cast our lives in picture-perfect light, but in reality, the day-to-day may not be that ideal. Let’s focus instead on quality time together instead of the quantity of everything else in our lives.
6. "Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." - Stitch of Lilo and Stitch
Sometimes it’s hard, but it’s important to prioritize inclusion within our own families. We all have that one cousin who gets on everyone’s nerves, but that doesn’t mean you don’t invite them to your gathering. Nobody gets left behind or forgotten. Family is family.
7. "What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family." - Mother Teresa
2019 has been a contentious and wild ride, with shocking headlines on the daily. When it seems like a goal as lofty as world peace is unattainable, it’s best to take Mother Teresa’s advice and go home and love your family. Starting locally, and right in your home, is the perfect place to begin. And it truly does make a difference.
8. “Home is where you are loved the most and act the worst.” - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
I think we can all relate with driving a parent up the wall...and them still loving us, just the same. Whether it was acting out as a kid, rebelling as a teen, or pushing your dad’s buttons as an adult just for the heck of it, we’ve all been there. And still, family keeps on loving.
9. “Family love is messy, clinging, and of an annoying and repetitive pattern… like bad wallpaper.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
While this certainly isn’t the most flattering portrait of family, it’s not inaccurate! As we grow up, sometimes we realize our parents and our families have flaws; they might cling to you or annoy you. There are probably habits and patterns you recognize and are well used to by now. And all the same, it’s love. Clingy, imperfect, unconditional family love.
10. "We may have our differences, but nothing's more important than family." - Miguel of Coco
This one is important to keep in mind as you gather around the dinner table with family. Whatever your differences may be—political, social, or otherwise—family is family. Pause and set aside those differences to the best of your ability. By practicing open-mindedness and inclusivity in our homes, we set ourselves up to practice it continuously.
11. “Families are like branches on a tree. We grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one.” - Unknown
Family gives us the foundation that we build upon for the rest of our lives. As we change and evolve, we can always return to the place we began, and be welcomed with love.
Families are complicated but special, as these quotes clearly show! What’s your favorite quote from the list? Let us know in the comments below.
Shopping for family members for the holiday season? Check out our free guide below for meaningful ideas sure to show how much you care.